Take Care of Personal Realms
Leaders trying to find work-life balance almost seems like looking for the Holy Grail. We all want it but it is so difficult to achieve. Here is a tool I have used with success both personally and with the leaders I coach. It is a structured inventory to take care of personal realms and develop a plan to repair various areas.
Questions to ask yourself:
- What distractions outside of work are having a negative impact on your performance at work?
- How would you describe your work-life balance? [One leader gave a helpful rename to this as “work-life blending”]
- What would be some benefits of taking a whole life inventory?
Sometimes we have one area of our personal life which needs a tune-up. You are successful as a leader but you notice that one area of your life is slipping away and you are getting soft in that area.
Sometimes in life, we need a total rebuild. During times of decision-making, extreme stress, and transition, the engine blows out. We need some time in the shop to rebuild the engine to get back on the road.
Some benefits of the “Take Care of the Personal Realms” process:
- You will gain greater clarity about your priorities in life.
- You will have a better quality use of time.
- You will gain greater focus at work without personal distractions.
- You will have peace of mind knowing that everything is in order.
- You will have fulfillment in living a focused life.
Let’s try it out!
Choose just ONE knot, concern or challenge in your personal life. It could be Diet, Fitness, Marriage, Social, Spiritual, Savings, etc.
In the area you choose, here are questions you can ask:
- What is my overall vision for success and fulfillment in this area in the next 1,3, 5, and 10 years?
- What is my mission, or the “why” behind why this area is important to you?
- How will you define success?
- What will I start doing in this area, and by when?
- What will I stop doing in this area, and by when?
- What will I stop doing in other areas, if anything, in order to make time for this shift?
- What can I do to be more focused, have more energy and balance, and recharge?
- What else is important to think about and do to achieve my vision?
- What are my immediate next steps?
Hopefully, you are getting clarity and motivation to address this area with more hope.
A problem well stated is a problem half resolved. ~ Charles F. Kettering
I love working with leaders to do a “tune-up” or “engine rebuild.” Let me know if you would be interested in working together so you can take care of personal realms!